Sponsor/ mentor information
Role of the Sponsor
Each participant must have a named Sponsor who will support them throughout their NPQSL. Their feedback and input provide critical evidence – and Sponsor Comments are a required supporting document when it comes to submission.
The Sponsor should be in a position to provide comments about the participant relating to the competencies. In order to do so we recommend that the Sponsor is:
- The regular point of contact and support for the Participant throughout their completion of the NPQSL;
- Senior in position to the Participant
We recommend that the Sponsor and Participant meet regularly throughout the design, implementation and evaluation stages of their project to discuss approach, progress, successes and challenges.
We also recommend that the Participant and Sponsor identify other key interaction points e.g. meetings which the Participant is leading as part of their project, which will further support the Sponsor to gather the required evidence.
The role of the mentor
- To support the participant to engage with and apply learning from the programme in their daily practice.
- To support the participant to successfully complete their chosen NPQ and the related assignment(s) and submission.
- To maintain an up to date knowledge of the requirements of the relevant NPQ, including the requirements of the relevant assignment(s).
- To maintain an up to date knowledge of the programme curriculum and key learning outcomes.
- To meet with the participant as agreed to discuss learning from the programme and how it can be applied in their practice as well as in the completion of their NPQ assignments and submission.
- The coach/mentor should work with the participant for the full duration of the participant’s NPQ programme (i.e. until they complete the programme and either by passing their NPQ, withdrawing, or exhausting all/any resubmission opportunities).
- The exact time commitment is at the partner’s discretion but we have provided guidelines below.
- Experienced in coaching and/or mentoring (or willing to engage with training provided by you in order to become so).
- Knowledge of the relevant NPQ including assignment(s) and assessment framework(s) (or willing to engage with training/to build their knowledge in this area).
- Knowledge of the relevant programme curriculum and components, including learning outcomes (or willing to engage with training/to build their knowledge in this area).
- Willing and able to make the full-time commitment required (both number of hours and duration).
- If acting in the capacity of a Mentor, the individual should have relevant school leadership experience.
- Please note that this person can be the same as their Sponsor (i.e. a sponsor can also act as a coach/mentor to the participant, or vice-versa).
If the intention is that the Coach/Mentor also acts as the Sponsor, this must be made clear to them when they take on this role. We continue to recommend that the above best practice is followed.