Assessment Only Route
If you have considerable experience of working in education but have not yet gained Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), the Assessment Only Route might be the right option for you as the first step on your qualified teaching career.
Our Assessment Only Route to QTS could be ideal if you are:
- Working as an unqualified teacher – paid or unpaid – or if you have extensive recent experience of teaching in a school or college.
- A cover supervisor, Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) or supply teacher
- An experienced Further Education lecturer now working in a school and keen to gain QTS
- An overseas trained teacher who does not automatically qualify for QTS or who did not gain QTS within the four-year limit.
- The Assessment Only Route is open to colleagues in Independent Schools, Academies, Special Schools, PRUs
A fast-track, but appropriately robust, route to QTS
The Assessment Only Route enables you to become formally qualified within a short space of time while you continue to teach. It takes 12 weeks of assessment to secure QTS and you can start at any time of the year.
You are required to demonstrate that you are a reflective practitioner who has met the Teachers’ Standards and can apply your skills, knowledge and understanding effectively in a wide range of school settings. You also need to show that you can relate theory to practice and to evaluate critically the fundamental aims and values of education.
As part of your route to QTS, you will be assessed while you are teaching by staff from your school and the University of Derby. During the assessment period, your supporting school will need to ensure that you have sufficient opportunity to meet the Teachers' Standards.
You should normally be teaching at a school within two hours travel time from the University of Derby and your school must not be in Special Measures.
For further information and an informal discussion about this route to Qualified Teacher Status, please contact Sue Kerley, ITT administrator email@example.com